woensdag 8 februari 2012

Great (Book) Expectations!!!!




I am one day too late!!! But never the less I want to share with you a poem that I do like of an author that kind changed my opinion about 'serious' books. Because one day when I was about 13 years old I did sneak into my dad's office to take an other look at the gigantic collection of books he owned. Amongst the numerous medical ones were also some 'normal' books. Most of them had shiny hard covers and when I did flip them open I did find mostly small print. I had to be fast because chances were high that someone would find me. I decided to go for that shiny book and sneaked out with 'The Pickwick Papers' by Charles Dickens.

That day I did start in a book that took me on a yourney that seems to be a never ending story. Because that story made me realise that there were so many stories to read that I had never heard of yet and were awaiting me. In a way is Dickens my first English author that I read. Okay, it was in Dutch but a few years later my high expectations became reality by means of 'Great Expectations' and what came after that is a list that goes on and on and on and on and on.......

So happy 200nd birthday to Charles Dickens!

Lucy's Song

How beautiful at eventide
To see the twilight shadows pale,
Steal o'er the landscape, far and wide,
O'er stream and meadow, mound and dale!

How soft is Nature's calm repose
When ev'ning skies their cool dews weep:
The gentlest wind more gently blows,
As if to soothe her in her sleep!

The gay morn breaks,
Mists roll away,
All Nature awakes
To glorious day.
In my breast alone
Dark shadows remain;
The peace it has known
It can never regain.

P.S.: Perhaps a very confusing choice of clip to go along but one day in college I was told by a very demanding college professor to read 'The English Patient'and I can tell you that even in there words, stories and authors are mentioned that I truly love. This was then again the book that brought me to read
Herodutus. A book my grandmother gave me once as a xmas present. So you see the story telling goes on and on and on and on.....


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dCLQWW7GQo (I would have loved to have shared this one with you but I can't post it here but copy and paste and enjoy a good story told in the cold dessert by a very lovely actress. It did give me goosebumps at the first time!)

Geen opmerkingen: