zondag 6 maart 2011

Spring Break Poetry





Break! So I took some deep breaths and I digged once more into my stack of books that is waiting out there to be digested by the restless reading soul. Today I picked out the poetry book 'Best-loved Poems', edited by Neil Philip with nice illustrations by Isabelle Brent. I got that book when I was out there in the UK, visiting Hampton Court. I wandered into a very nice gift shop and got this book for a fiver. Sometimes I need poetry to take a break, to take deep breaths and connect back with the world I walk on.

So, I started to browse through it and I came across some very nicely composed poems. Some are very famous and I do not consider fit enough to be copied once more by my hands. It are rather the ones that are less well known that I wish to share with others. In the first reading of a poem or text does a lot of fresh emotions are set free. I can have sometimes that ultimate bliss when I read a text or poem that just can't be repeated when I read it for a second time.

Especially when it are news articles or something I happen to come across in a newspaper that is lying around in a bus, metro or just out there while waiting at the doctor. It are then I come across the real short reading gems. Words that can go the distance that can haunt me for a long time to come. They can trigger a spot of the mind where my emotions are living. Most of the time it will take me by surprise.

I have about the same with music and especially with classical kind. When I heared Vivaldi or some pieces of Mozart for the very first time that it seemed that life came to complete stand still. It touches the soul and when I then get the opportunity to read poetry along I sometimes cut myself of reality. Chances are that I won't hear the phone or the delivery man standing in front of our door.

So for the moment I am completely cut of reality while I typing this because I am listening to well known piano concerto No. 21 (Andante) by Wolfgang Mozart. And I am reading some of those beloved poems. One is I think very fitting with the very sunny Sunday I experienced today. Spring is in the air. The signs are out and I felt it in my bones. Hope that some more of these days are about to come.

"Who knows if the moon's a balloon"

Who knows if the moon's
a balloon, coming out of a keen city
in the sky - filled with pretty people?
(and if you and I should

get into it, if they
should take me and take you into their balloon,
why then
we'd go higher with all the pretty people

than houses and steeples and clouds:
go sailing
away and away sailing into a keen
city which nobody's ever visited, where

always
it's
Spring)and everyone's
in love and flowers pick themselves

E.E. Cummings

P.S.: I imagine this piece of music being played at my mum's house while the french windows are standing open and outside the breathtaking garden was awakening from the long winter sleep. It is a piece of music that can still make me hold my breath and admire the freshly created first signs of Spring with great admiration.

Geen opmerkingen: