zondag 7 maart 2010

My private little hero!



Sunday afternoon and outside the sun is shining and I managed to survive one more year our yearly restaurant days from work. It was fun to work again in a filled up kitchen with collegues that you truely can appreciate. We made fun and smiled nurmerous times, joked around, tasted a few times the prepared dishes and even wrapped up the day with a bottle of tasty bubbles.

I am now sitting in the living room typing away behind my computer and across the table I am enjoying a wonderful sight: my two men sitting behing their own computer. P is of course performing on a highter level then A! But it is so cute to see A sitting there behind his screen and working with the mousepad. He is looking up the coolest You tube videos of Star Wars!! P is paying bills and that is also a very good deed!

I just need to get stared with the real work: unloading the dishwasher, doing laundry, storing away stuff that is still in the way but ignored by others, packing A his schoolbag and mine as well, writing a report or two. But the most of important of all is finding a nice image of a certain classical hero!

Why that, you might wonder? Well, A is covering next week the importance of having a name! The teacher asked the parents to explain their child this weekend why they have the name they are now running around with. Not that hard to answer for me but explaining this to a 6 year old? Not that easy.

I could show him movies about this blond Macedonian guy or surf with him the internet to give him an idea where his mother got the idea for the name he is now carrying around. There is for sure one illustration that I am going to print out and on top of that I am going to pack up one of his first children's books he got from me with the tittle: A the great!!! A story about a little mouse that wants to proof himself by standing up for himself and conquering all his fears!! A story about bravery, friendship, believing against all odds and family roots!

Of course I looked up a few name sites and here below you can read what I hope that A will know one day extra about his own name:

ALEXANDER
Gender: Masculine

Usage: English, German, Dutch, Scandinavian, Hungarian, Slovak, Biblical, Ancient Greek (Latinized), Greek Mythology (Latinized)

Pronounced: al-əg-ZAN-dər (English), ah-lek-SAHN-der (German), ah-luk-SAHN-dur (Dutch) [key]

Latinized form of the Greek name Αλεξανδρος (Alexandros), which meant "defending men" from Greek αλεξω (alexo) "to defend, help" and ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος). In Greek mythology this was another name of the hero Paris, and it also belongs to several characters in the New Testament. However, the most famous bearer was Alexander the Great, King of Macedon. In the 4th century BC he built a huge empire out of Greece, Egypt, Persia, and parts of India. Due to his fame, and later medieval tales involving him, use of his name spread throughout Europe.
The name has been used by kings of Scotland, Poland and Yugoslavia, emperors of Russia, and eight popes. Other notable bearers include English poet Alexander Pope (1688-1744), American statesman Alexander Hamilton (1755-1804), Scottish-Canadian explorer Sir Alexander MacKenzie (1764-1820), Russian poet Alexander Pushkin (1799-1837), and Alexander Graham Bell (1847-1922), the Scottish-Canadian-American inventor of the telephone.

I do like every line of this explanation and who knows what A will end up becoming: an explorer, a poet, a statesman, an inventor, pope, poet or something else? The future will tell! But according to me he is already worthy of his name. Being born premature he became in no time my little hero fighting for his life. Also every time when I see him running of in order to 'conquer' the world I feel very proud of him. But chances are high that he will tell his classmates that he is named after a mouse!!! I also bet that then every single kid will go home and proclaim that A is named after a rodent. I don't need to point out that this is rather a hilarious thought!

Geen opmerkingen: